Sunday, September 16, 2012

Different Perspectives


            Attending public schools my whole life has affected my perspective and views in more ways than one, and definitely for the better.  Being Muslim, there are many rules in my religion, and they are very important to follow.  Thankfully my parents did a great job of teaching me right from wrong, what I am allowed to do and what I am not without sending me to a private Islamic school.  They trust me to do what they have taught me and stay away from trouble and that’s what makes me so confident in how I act and the things I do.  It also makes them proud and able to trust me. 

Taken from: ACLU
Many of the Muslim girls my age have attended and graduated from an Islamic school.  This has its advantages, but I also feel like the parents enroll their kids in those types of schools for the wrong reasons.  They force their children to go to private Islamic schools just to keep them away from the rest of the world; afraid they will do something to go against our religion.  Eventually of course, the students become comfortable with where they’re at, but they also start to wonder about other people’s lives and what they are missing out on, sometimes causing them to get into even more trouble by going behind their parents’ back.

My high school held multiple dances over the years and my mom allowed me to go to them.  Many Muslim mothers would not allow their daughters to go if given the opportunity, assuming it will be something too out of the ordinary, and unnecessary.  It was obvious to me that I could not dance with any of the guys and I had to stay out in the open where everyone else was.  Whenever my Muslim friends would find out I went to a dance they’d say things like “you’re so lucky you went to the dance” or “how did you get your mom to let you go?” like it was something so unusual to them.  But to me it was just normal, it was high school and I paid extra attention to everything that went on.  And with all the events, the games, and the people I hung out with, I had the chance to learn about so many different things and learn to love people no matter what! People loved me in return; I was voted “most friendly” and prom queen my senior year.  I had the perfect high school experience and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Having been able to spend my whole life with people of different races and religions made me a better, more accepting person.  There will always be symbols and situations where two people or groups of people have different thoughts or opinions.  It’s all about understanding each other and seeing why the other person thinks the way they do.  I’ll always listen to what someone else has to say because it may also help me think in a different, better way.  But no matter what I’ll always be one with positive thoughts and ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a specific symbol that represents what you are talking about here? If so, what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great point about Islamic schools in your second paragraph. It's kind of like the saying "you always want what you can't have" in a way. If parents shelter their children too much, they won't know how to handle certain situations in the future. They might become curious of things their parents refused to expose them to, which could have a negative outcome. If done for the right reasons, I think Islamic schools are a great option but certainly not if parents are just trying to keep their children away from other cultures and experiences. I believe that going to a public school and meeting all of the unique and interesting people that I have met is something very important. You learn to see things from many different perspectives and learn more about others, as well as yourself.

    ReplyDelete