Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cultural Pride or Racial Oppression?


     When I was younger, my older sister’s boyfriend (at the time) temporarily moved into my mother’s home; however, he didn’t only bless us with his presence. Along with him came his possessions, one of which caused controversy in our household. I recall waking up to my oldest brother shouting about racism, accusing my sister’s boyfriend of a being racist because of the Confederate flag.  Why? Wasn’t this flag a symbol of culture, a historical symbol of Southern heritage? Why was my brother so offended? Did the fact that this man included this flag in his luggage mean we invited racism into our home? In this personal experience, Foster couldn’t be more correct when he writes about individual histories and racial backgrounds influencing the interpretations of symbolism.
     Internet research was required on my part in order to understand if this flag was truly a symbol of cultural pride or racial oppression. Slavery was undoubtedly the driving force behind the succession of the Confederate States, but perhaps we have to step into the “mind of the times” to realize there might be more to it than that. It was also a matter of economic disagreements and violation of state’s rights, a dividing line of exactly how much control the federal government had over individual states. Provided these issues all surrounded around the subject of slavery, which, of course, is prejudice in nature.
     Depending on the viewer, this flag can have completely different meanings. My sister’s boyfriend (at the time) was Caucasian, while my oldest brother is of mixed-races. Although both were raised in the South, it is possible that my sister’s boyfriend had closer connections to his geographical heritage. However, in my opinion, individual histories and racial backgrounds are the ultimate factors which color one’s interpretation in this situation.
     The debate over what the Confederate flag symbolizes is still a controversial issue in today’s society, and many have moved for it to be banned in their communities. Students have been sent home from school for wearing shirts with similar designs, and some courthouses have removed the flag from the interior to the outdoors as a means of negotiation. Although I do not have a particularly strong opinion in this matter, I find it to be an irrational thought or hope that the flag can ever be stripped of the negative associations attached to it. Even if it is a symbol of cultural pride, the culture in which it takes pride in was one engrossed in bigotry. Regardless, what the flag symbolizes is a matter of perspective.

4 comments:

  1. I would agree that the Confederate flag, no matter what it meant in the past, cannot "ever be stripped of the negative associations attached to it." It seems that once an atrocity surrounds a particular symbol, that new association trumps all previous meanings. Whenever I see that particular flag flying, I can't help but feel disgust. Then I have my own stereotypes of the people who fly the flag - redneck, ignorant, uneducated, backward, etc. Is this stereotype harmful too? Probably so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is easy to discount some acts or symbols immediately without putting effort into examining why people feel a certain way. It’s understandable why people would view the confederate flag as a symbol of slavery, exploitation, and heinous acts, but I also think some people look past the historical setting and the absence of modern thought from this culture. Indentured servitude was initially the solution to labor shortages in colonial America but as this practice became more costly and difficult to maintain Southerners turned to slavery to fill their menial labor positions. The people in the south had primarily ventured to the region for economic opportunity (mainly growing cash crops) and to enjoy the social mobility that the United States provided, so to complete their goals they used the institution of slavery. But aside from Slavery, these people, like any other people developed a culture that most certainly contain some aspects that weren’t baised on bigotry and hate. I am by no means endorsing the institution of slavery; what I am saying is that it’s important to examine why people think the way they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, all stereotypes have exceptions and potentially harmful consequences. which is why it's important for us to understand that "it's a matter of perspective."

      Delete