Sunday, September 16, 2012

Akon's Right Now


A couple of years ago R&B singer, Akon, came out with a song called “Right Now.”  In the song Akon sings during the chorus, “I wanna make up right now now now.”  The song was very popular on the radio back when it first came out, and my little cousin, RJ, who was about eight or nine years old was a fan of the song.  Even though when I heard the song and understood that Akon was singing I want to make up, my little cousin who was probably paying more attention to the beat of the song than the actual words, thought that Akon was singing, “I wanna make love right now now now,” and so this is what he would sing when he would be singing the song when it was stuck in his head.  Being eight or nine, he had no idea what he was saying had a completely different meaning than what the song stood for.  One time we were in the car with my aunt and he started singing his version of the song and my aunt began to fuss, saying how he shouldn’t be saying such things.  RJ, confused because he had no idea what he was saying, didn’t protest, but just remained quite and accepted his mom’s fussing.  I just sat in the passenger seat smiling to myself at how one song’s lyrics could have so many differ interpretation for one carful of riders.  One was the original version and the version that I heard, “I want to make up.”  The other was what RJ heard, “I want to make love,” but in a completely innocent way.  And the third was how my Aunt Valerie heard it, the way RJ was singing it but in a completely vulgar way.  I wonder if Akon knew this pop hit would end up being so controversial.From ask men.com

2 comments:

  1. Clyde, I'm wondering what you felt was the symbol in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a little different than choosing a specific symbol because here you are talking about two different versions of a song. The interpretations are bound to be different if the parts of the song are in fact different. One version of the song is clearly dirty, which is why there is a clean version. The "I wana make up" version is clean so it would not be controversial, while the "I wana make love" is sure to be controversial. Especially with your younger cousin, it would seem obvious that his mother thought it was too vulgar. My point is that the symbolism here isn't very clear because all things mentioned here pretty straightforward and expected an overall homogeneous response, not exactly differently interpreted. It seems that you think this just because your cousin is naive, but that is just age and him not understanding, not a different view of the lyric.

    ReplyDelete