Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Person to Represent


            In high school, my senior English teacher had my classmates and I memorize literary definition of symbol that he gave us. Till this day I can still recite the definition verbatim, “An object, animate or inanimate, which represents or stands for something else. A literary symbol combines an image with a concept. It may be public or private, universal or local. In literary works we find instances of the use of a concrete image to express an emotion of an abstract idea”.  Thinking back on it now, I guess that is the best way to describe a symbol. Symbol is whatever a person wants something to stand for.
            In religion, you always hear of martyrs that die for sticking to what they believe in. A friend of mine, Renee, and I were walking out of class after hearing about martyrs and she says “I just think it’s a bit overdramatic how these people got themselves killed because they couldn’t hide what they believed, they should have just kept their mouths shut and they wouldn’t have died”. In all honesty I was shocked that she had said something like that. I had always believed martyrs were pretty amazing in their own right. Not that they died but that they didn’t let people change what they believed in and that even knowing they would be in trouble if they continued to speak out. So it had surprised me to her say that, I just assumed others thought the same way.
            Going back to definition I gave earlier, I think that the same object having different meanings to different people has to with it being on where they got the symbol from. It all has to do with how people were taught to perceive things, each person was taught differently and each person has their own unique mindset. So what s symbol represents is all focused on the person who sees the symbol.


St. Ursula

No comments:

Post a Comment