Sunday, November 11, 2012

Defining empire

The word "empire" to me means a bunch of people living in the same large area, under a a single rule. This rule should create communion within the people living in it or must share certain ideas that differ from other empires or places around the world. When I think about the word "empire," I think of old world civilizations like the Roman Empire. My mind also goes to fictionality, where an empire can be a kingdom like in Cinderella, where everyone is under the King's rule.

Fall of the Roman Empire
Although my mind separates the word empire from fiction and non-fiction, I would overall have to say that the word makes me feel uncertain and almost fearsome. Thinking back on history class, and the empire that I learned about, I feel like being under a single rule can be dangerous and lead to inevitable corruption, similarly like the fall of the Roman Empire When one person rules, they tend to get big headed and think of themselves before the people.



Empire relates to the self and the other because it separates a ruler from his/her people. The ruler will set boundaries and rules for his/her people, which may force people to be a certain way under that rule. A ruler learns more about his/her self once put into a position of control and power.

When I hear the word "barbarians" I think of people without constraint. These people don't know proper behavior and are savage-like. In my mind, I see savages as cave-men or pre-historic humans. They use natural instincts and not consideration and proper thought that civilized people use today.
My view of barbarians


My ideas about these two words probably came from movies and history class. We  learn about the first humans or cave-men and the creation of civilizations and empires in class, but the movies give us the imagery of it all. This imagery is hard to let go of and sticks in people's minds.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that you have made some good points here, but wouldn't you say that what defines the empire is when the ruler or king sets the boundaries, they are then enforced and obeyed by his people? Moreover, I know its a personal definition, but why do you think people never really think about the modern day empires that exist in our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you present an interesting question. I guess its easier to point to the past than to look right under our noses. With the negative connotations that come with the word "empire," it's hard to look in the mirror and see yourself as part of the empire.

      By the way, Aaron, you're a 2, which means you should be writing the blog.

      Delete
  2. I like the correlation you drew between the idea of an empire to the self/other concept. I had not thought of it from that perspective...but do you think that the roles could be interchangeable in your definition?Making the "other" the ruler and the "self" the citizens of that empire and vice versa depending on the circumstances of the empire. Or do you think that it is always one set way in every empire? I also agree that most people create their definitions of these words from historical references in movies, literature, and other forms of media. Although your view of barbarians is based in fiction and history, would you say there are modern day barbarians?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similarly, the concepts India has brought up can also relate to Nazi Germany. Hitler attempted to rule a large empire by instilling fear and murdering people he felt were inferior and were a threat to his empire's success. To me, he represents the modern term of barbarian as he showed no remorse for his actions. Ultimately, his empire fell; as is seen in history, they typically self destruct.

    ReplyDelete