Sunday, November 11, 2012

Barbarian and Empire


When I think of the word “empire”, it brings to mind the movie “Scarface” starring Al Pacino.  Not because of the drug kingpin situation, but because Tony Montana was able to build an empire from nothing.  He went from being a “nobody” immigrant, to the boss, a leader.  Being at the top of an empire to me is being in supreme control; making the decisions as the person in charge.  Tony Montana, the character known as “Scarface” played by Al Pacino, built an empire, although they were fronts to launder money, Montana opened and ran several companies while avoiding problems with other gangs. He started from selling drugs and opened several businesses Montana managment, Montana real estate, Montana records, and Montana Legal to name a few.  Empire to me means a vast network of command that has a leader with the power to protect, build, and overcome other rivals, whether businesses or civilizations.  Empire is related to the concepts “self” and “other” because what we see as an empire to our selves, could be perceived as an “other” depending on who’s looking at it. When I think of the word “barbarians”, I picture a savage and ruthless Genghis Kahn type. I portray a barbarian as big, ugly, uncivilized, and almost animal like.  I feel like my ideas about these words primarily came through media and possibly even some life experiences. Also, ‘Scarface: The World is Yours” for Playstation 2 is an awesome game; a true classic if you play games.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post had me thinking about the movie American Gangster. In that movie, Frank Lucas builds an empire as he is the number deal for cocaine. I liked your definition of empire because I do agree with you that it does entail leadership.

    ReplyDelete