Sunday, November 25, 2012

Belligerent Activities

Whenever I go out to a bar,  I find that I am constantly "otherizing" people who act different than the norm.  Now when I say different than the norm, I mean people who get really loud and belligerent and dance with rambunctious, uncoordinated mannerisms.  I can't help but stare and laugh as they continue to carelessly embarrass themselves.  I always find that no matter where I am, I always single out anyone who acts like this in the bar and spend the whole night randomly staring and laughing and continuously judging them.

This is where the story gets funny.  Recently it was brought to my attention that whenever I'm out and "feeling good," I turn into one of the very people that I continuously "otherize."  Through what my friends have told me and pictures, I learned that I not only act completely ridiculous, but can be very similar to those that I continue to judge while being out.  It's funny for me to think about now because I finally understand how they so carelessly continue to act the way they are acting without stopping to think what other people might be thinking of them.  Whenever I act this way, I just go on living my life and don't care how crazy I am acting.  I become an other, a part of the group that I continuously "otherize."

From Buzzle
 

5 comments:

  1. Do you think that we all tend to do that? I've certainly been in your shoes before, but I wonder now if this is just a part of being a young adult. Perhaps this has something to do with self-image and being "cool." I also appreciate your honesty, many people cannot take a step back from the situation and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really it just sounds like drunk people being drunk and sober people being sober. I know on the rare occasion that I DD I ask myself the same questions. I think it is interesting the drinking makes you act different and thus you're almost otherizing yourself on purpose. I think the best observation of this phenomenon would be the LCS Soundsystem song "Drunk Girls." It's also a good song

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always judge the drunk people that do that when I used to go out drinking. I have most definitely had my share of sloppy foolish drunk nights. However, I don't drink anymore at all. I hate how people act when their drunk. People make fools out of themselves whether it be dancing like a fool, or getting obnoxious and violent; and although they may not remember what happened, generally other people do. I remember one night throwing up and passing out on an air hockey table following a night with a bottle of absinthe that I selfishly consumed on my own. Felt like an idiot, all my friends were still having fun and doing their thing (mainly messing with me)and I missed out. So now when I go out drinking, its usually soda for me. I always "otherize" the drunk people, I used to be the other. However, stumbling drunks, are a riot for me. Just the other day I was watching a TV show called Mall Cops, it takes place at the mall of america. They recieved numerous reports of a kid that drank a handle of vodka. He could hardly walk. He was otherized by the mall police, and ended up in jail for it. sucks for him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you point out that ‘otherizing’ can be a cycle. It seems that in most if not all instances, people who have been created into ‘the other’ eventually do the same thing to different individuals. It might be possible that some individuals ‘otherize’ people separate from themselves because they aren’t empathizing with them. In other words, perhaps people haven’t picture themselves in the same position as the people they are creating into ‘the other’.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can point to any of the books or stories we've read and show how the characters who viewed people as "the other" were just looking at people through a certain lens, a lens we might call "the self." It stands to reason then that most of our judgements of "the other" are flaws within ourselves, no?

    ReplyDelete